Some projects and programmes Charles has had a major role in:
- Place-Based Initiatives – implementation and emerging outcomes evaluation. I managed the contract for this for a couple of years (when at Social Wellbeing Agency). It required some tricky decisions about right mix of qual and quant (Integrated Data Infrastructure / IDI) and respectful navigation of the central government role in such regionally led work.
- Qualitative evaluation of a pilot change management programme at Auckland Prison (‘Right Track’). This involved interviews of prisoners and staff.
Survey management and advice
- Led change to interactive Kupe data explorer instead of traditional survey reports (at Health Promotion Agency)
- NZ Crime & Safety Survey: face-to-face nationwide using CAPI/CASI, n>5000, exceptionally complex questionnaire. Led fieldwork supply in 2006 (as Director at Nielsen), provided technical advice in 2009 & 2014 (as independent consultant), and helped with initial planning for the new survey that started in 2018 (when at Ministry of Justice)
- Innovative stated choice design and analysis working with University of Sydney (willingness-to-pay transport survey)
Planning / review
- Coordinated Wellbeing Expertise programme planning at Social Wellbeing Agency in 2021
- Review of the use (and misuse) of older driver crash statistics in policy (the ‘Sullivan Report‘). Major changes in testing requirements for older drivers followed shortly afterwards.
Administrative data / Integrated Data Infrastructure (IDI)
- Manager of Analytics team of data scientists working with IDI at Social Wellbeing Agency for 7 months in 2020
- Coordinating several analysts working on ‘Investment Approach for Justice’ in 2016 (one of the largest projects using the IDI until then)
- Sentencing analysis (Ministry of Justice): A series of 4 related papers quantifying major changes in sentencing over the previous 10 years and estimating impact on employment and re-offending (e.g. joint paper with Treasury)